Friday 24 February 2017

Cold water on the double M fantasy...



In our younger days, back in High school, this thing called 'Puppy Love' was quite common, and anyone who never went through it was often thought to be a little dumb or we can say slow.
There is this one girl i met on a certain mathematics contest (I was not so good at mathematics, I was just chosen to fill up the bus). When we got there, it was mutually agreed that me and other mathematics-disabled friends would not get into the halls where the contest was taking place to avoid a dip in the average score. This meant we were left to roam around the school and got a chance to mingle with other mathematically-disabled students, most preferably girls.

In the confusion, i got to meet a girl, and for the sake of my safety, let me call her MM, at least that's how she signed off most of her letters before the L word came into the picture.

MM and I had so much in common, we were not only mathematics-disabled, but meat was also not our portion, most of the times we met i would look for a girl floating in her skirt. The chemistry started growing, the first letter was from her, and even though she tried to hide her 'feelings' by making the letter completely casual, it was evident she had gone quite the mile to pour some awesome perfume on the letter, and the calligraphy on the envelope too.

I replied to that one, and one thing led to the other, in a few months, we were promising each other heaven, and i remember on one occasion on a letter, i promised to 'Dig you an ocean and buy you a ship'. It was that great a love. She replied on the positive promising how she would 'Become the captain of our ship, and something about always sailing to my castle and pirating on .....' I forget some of these lines with age.

Just before we were done with the fourth year, the confusion started. In our day, owning a mobile phone was only left to adults, and so i gave her my dad's number, but made it clear that if she was to call, she would use her brother who would introduce himself as my former classmate. She also gave me her mum's number, but made it clear that i was to never call. We cleared high school, and though the final letters were quite emotional (Picture two dogs hugging, as one is heading to be beheaded in self sacrifice for the sake of the other).

Days passed, months... then one day after many months my dad shouted that a certain "Kaguta" was on phone and wanted to talk to me. I was scared since the only Kaguta I knew back then was, yes, that one.. I picked the phone quite confused, and after some confusing exchange, there was a short scuffle and i heard my name called the way only one person knew.. "Steee.." it was MM! My heart slammed and almost broke the diaphragm, it kicked left and right, but i managed to hold against the cow shed to prevent it plunging off.

She was also equally excited, "Am so sorry stee, my mother's phone fell into the toilet..."
"It's okey..." I assured her, knowing how much a tragedy that must have been to her whole clan.
We chewed on and on, how we had been, how life was exciting.. Then i asked her how we could meet. She hesitated, seemed like she was not so much for the idea.

"I will be going to the capital next month to see my brother in university, maybe we can meet there." I remembered she had said something about coming from Thika. She agreed to meet up, though evidently with three hearts.

The following month, i made my first trip to the capital, not worried by the fact that i would become my big brother's maid for a week, cooking and washing the dishes, since i knew there was a computer in his tiny room in the university residence halls. I would now listen and watch Whitney Houston and Christina Millian!

My first Saturday in the capital was the day to meet my niceness, and my big brother had walked me through directions to Uhuru park, and gave me his phone for the day to call him on his friend's in case things got Elephant. I called her, and we planned for 12.00 at Uhuru Park, where i was a few hours before.

Thirty minutes after our agreed time I was getting bored, and had already plucked a handful or two of grass blades.. Then the phone rang. I excitedly picked, and she advised me to look for someone with a blue dress, since she had grown big and there was a chance i would not recognize her. I watched and waited, then i spotted her, walking into the park from the freedom-corner entrance.

At first i looked away and searched for another blue dress, 'They have to be another'.. i told myself, but none was showing up. Then, Just then, my phone rang, i looked towards the freedom corner entrance, and indeed, the lady in a blue dress had her phone placed on the ears.
"I cant see you, am at the gate.." She said.
"Just walk forward, you will see me..." There was no need of explaining how i looked, there was nothing much that had changed anyway.
She noticed me and shone a very beaming smile, rushed forward and gave me a hug, which was quite odd, since the now threatening to burst baby bump was getting in the way. Yes, you read right.
My sweaty palms suddenly dried up, and the heart which was pregnant with expectation, hope, fantasies, and all good things miscarried.
The thing that was really eating into my nerves was how she seemed comfortable about the whole 'Baby in the process thingy'. Its like something she had planned all her life, and it occured to me that the ship and ocean would never happen, not with MM. That split second i remembered a letter i had said something like 'Last night i had a dream, we were walking in the park and there was a kid walking besides us calling us mummy and daddy' to which she had replied with warm promises. Well, my fake dream was finally seeing the light, except the baby was still in lock down, and even if they were walking, it would be "Mummy and Uncle.."

"What's wrong.. you have suddenly changed.. You look sick Stee.." She started, looking into my eyes.
In an instance i felt like screaming at her to not call me that name that way again.. but instead i chose to squeeze the weathering rose flower i had plucked earlier on deeper into my pocket.
The rest of our odd meeting was filled with "OOhhh.. Okey.. Aha... MMMhhh.. No, No.. " from me, i was so confused to construct any sensible sentence.
"When are you due..?" I oddly asked.
"Two months at most..." She answered, quite excited.
"Uhhhm... That's awesome!" I exclaimed once the big potato on my throat vanished.
We took a few sodas, walked around the park, and everyone around us had that silly look on their faces, the one most likely to suggest 'Good work young man..'

One hour later i would not take it any more, so i faked a call and excused myself faking 'I have to get back to campus early since am travelling back home today.'

She bought it, and  quickly walked her up to the GPO, and made my way to Uhuru Highway, where i did some mental calculations, We had sat our papers in October the previous year, she was two months due, and we were now in the third month of the year.. The same questions beat me up the whole day.. When..? How..? At what point..? Exams how..?

Well, the two months elapsed, and i was informed of the new messiah, who happened to be a boy, and the good news was that she had named the little fella after me.......! Hallelujah!
Its now almost seven years, i have never gone for the 'Tea of Child', and i always trend carefully whenever i visit the land of Pineapples, just in case i bump into the little fella or the mother.

Have a nice Friday people!!!... Like my page up there.. and follow me on google plus down here to get notifications of new stuff.!

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, this is very hilarious...lol. Keep up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth...! More is sure coming.

      Delete
  2. Wangui Waigera31 May 2017 at 14:39

    hahahaha nice piece you are a natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wangui.. Those are very kind words.

      Delete